Riviera Maya is a destination to enjoy with all our senses, it is to live one or many experiences. Each one of them unique and incomparable, because this beautiful tourist corridor has been endowed by the Mayan deities with enormous natural attractions, starting with the turquoise sea and beaches of fine white sand, an ideal setting for romance, as well as multicolored flora, fauna and ideal landscapes to interact with nature and admire the horizon without time or schedule.
It is located along the Caribbean Sea, in the state of Quintana Roo, geographically it extends along the coast from the town of Puerto Morelos, to the north, to the town of Punta Allen to the south, about 130 kilometers in length, beauty and fun. Its main attractions include Playa del Carmen, Xcaret, Puerto Aventuras, Akumal, Xel-Há and Tulum.
As a tourist destination it was created in 1999, with the impulse of the municipal public authorities. Since then, together with Cancun, it has become the most important tourist destination in Mexico and one of the most visited on an international scale.
Congresses to fullness
Without a doubt, it is an ideal place to enjoy as a family or as a couple. Another edge to visit the Riviera Maya, is to carry out an incentive trip or to carry out a successful convention or congress. The Riviera Maya is positioning itself nationally and internationally as the undisputed leader in the meetings segment.
Holding these types of events strengthens one of the most important market niches, which is business tourism, which joins the wedding and honeymoon, medical tourism, golf and spa segments, among others. The objective for some years now has been to position this resort as a destination for meeting, convention and incentive tourism, and thereby contribute to maintaining hotel occupancy throughout the year.
Due to the exponential growth in the number of rooms and meeting facilities that it has had in recent years and above all, due to the characteristics that make it unique as a destination: differentiating attractions, connectivity and infrastructure, the Riviera Maya has 25 thousand square meters of space distributed in its hotels, to celebrate all kinds of events to the fullest, which allows to provide a high quality service to those attending the meetings and which requires constant promotion and firm positioning in the different segments.
To carry out a congress or convention, the Riviera Maya has different accommodation options, diverse and spectacular hotel complexes, some of which operate in the All Inclusive mode, providing the necessary infrastructure for a corporate meeting or professional celebration, through rooms with different capacities and types of assembly, in addition to offering expert advice to ensure the success of the meeting.
Currently there are almost 40 thousand hotel rooms, distributed in 365 lodging centers. Some complexes have golf courses surrounded by lagoons, cenotes and vegetation, and SPAS with facilities and worldwide certifications.
Through an aggressive marketing plan, the Riviera Maya is breaking schemes to successfully penetrate this market. With this plan, it is expected to achieve in the next 5 years:
- • Position the Riviera Maya as the main destination for meetings tourism in Mexico for the national and international market.
- •Position the Riviera Maya as one of the top 20 players for business tourism worldwide.
Among the main strategies that are carried out are:
- • An aggressive promotional program focused on markets with the greatest potential to generate events for the Riviera Maya.
- • The integral product structure for beach congresses in the Riviera Maya.
- • The promotion of meeting venues that are within hotel complexes, indicating capacities, rooms within walking distance and categories of these rooms, since having different categories of rooms in the same complex is important for conference organizing committees.
- • Strategic alliances with the leading companies in the meetings segment in North America to generate sales calls to their regional offices, familiarization trips for their associates and involve the properties and DMCs of the Riviera Maya in these alliances so that they truly translate hard sell and don’t just stop at brand positioning.
- • Launch of a very useful website for event organizers that facilitates the purchase and generation of RFPs.
(*) Source MPI Mexico – Mexican Caribbean Chapter